Leadership on the Field, in the Office and at Home: My Conversation With NFL Coach Michael Lombardi [The Knowledge Project Ep. #2]
New England Patriots Coach Michael Lombardi (@mlombardiNFL) and I discuss the four aspects of leadership, high stakes decision making, creating a winning culture at work and at home and much more.
This episode features Michael Lombardi, former General Manager of the Cleveland Browns and current member of the coaching staff on the New England Patriots. He’s widely regarded as one of the best evaluators of talent in the NFL and as we’ll see, a lot more goes into that than measuring talent.
In this packed interview with Michael, you’ll learn:
- The four elements of leadership (that are just as applicable in the home and office as they are on the football field)
- The key differences between good coaches and bad coaches and how to see where you are on the spectrum
- How Michael evaluates a player’s ability to fit into the culture and system of a team (lots of carryover for recruiting into a company or other organization)
- The importance of divergent thinking in an organization to avoid “groupthink” and stagnant progress
- How to manage big egos and get players to cooperate to reach a team objective rather than compete for the spotlight
- Why focusing on processes and not outcomes is an overlooked strategy to reach lofty goals
- What coaching in the NFL has taught Michael about parenting
Whether you’re a fan of American football or not, there are lots of insights to be learned from this episode.
Enjoy this amazing conversation.
- Listen to this podcast on iTunes. (Leave a rating!)
- Stream by clicking here.
- Libsyn RSS
- Download as MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
Books mentioned in this episode:
- Henry Kissinger The Complete Memoirs
- Robert Kennedy: His Life
- When Pride Still Mattered: A Life Of Vince Lombardi
- The Wright Brothers
- Win Forever: Live, Work, and Play Like a Champion
Would you like your own hand-edited transcript of this and every other Knowledge Project episode?
If so, consider becoming a Knowledge Project Premium Member. You’ll get exclusive benefits like podcast transcripts to highlight and revisit your favorite insights, behind the scenes commentary, and member-only AMAs with host Shane Parrish.
Your support also allows us to continue to produce high quality shows in the future. Learn more about it here.