A.I. Expert Pedro Domingos on The Rise of The Machines [The Knowledge Project Ep. #13]
On this episode of The Knowledge Project Podcast, I’m happy to have Pedro Domingos (@pmddomingos) who is a professor at the University of Washington.
Domingos is the leading researcher in machine learning and recently wrote an amazing book called The Master Algorithm. I was fortunate enough to have a long and fascinating conversation with him over dinner one night that lead to the recording of this episode. I think you’re going to love it.
In this conversation we explore:
- The three sources from which all humans obtained their knowledge for thousands of years, and how a new fourth is changing everything.
- How AI is finding its way into every sector of our lives, and what that means for future jobs and future opportunities
- Why white collar jobs are easier to replace than blue collar jobs and what the workforce may look like in the near future
- How a hedge fund recently placed an algorithm as a full voting member of their board of directors
- The difference between traditional computer science and machine learning and how it will impact technology
- The five major schools of machine learning and how they’re revoltionizing the way computers analyze information
- How “robot scientists” could transform the way we make medical and scientific discoveries (one recently discovered a drug for malaria)
- How machines might compete in professional sports and serve more entertainment purposes
- The future of self-driving cars and how humans will learn to adapt to them as the technology improves
- Pedro’s vision of the future of AI and human’s daily interaction with AI
If you use technology in any way, you’re going to be floored by this interview. Enjoy!
- Listen to this podcast on iTunes. (Please leave a rating!)
- Listen on Stitcher
- Listen on Spotify
- Stream by clicking here.
- Libsyn RSS
- Download as MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
A complete transcript is available for members of our learning community.