Naval Ravikant: The Angel Philosopher on Investing, Making Decisions, Happiness and the Meaning of Life [The Knowledge Project Ep. #18]
Naval Ravikant (@naval) is the CEO and co-founder of AngelList. He’s invested in more than 100 companies, including Uber, Twitter, Yammer, and many others.
It’s difficult to nail down exactly what we discuss in our conversation because I had so many questions to ask him. Naval is an incredibly deep thinker who challenges the status quo on so many things. This is an interview you’ll want to listen to, think a bit, and then listen to again.
Here are just a few of the many things we cover in this episode:
- What a “typical day” looks like (not the answer I expected, and not one you’ve likely heard before)
- How Naval developed his legendary reading habits and how he finds time to read no matter how busy life gets
- How the internet has impacted book reading (both good and bad) and how to make sure you’re getting the best information from the most reliable sources
- What popular habit advice Naval thinks is BS and why
- Naval’s habit stacking technique that helped him overcome a desire for alcohol and other potentially destructive habits
- How Naval’s core values give direction to his life and how those values developed over time
- Naval’s thoughts on the current education system and what we can do to facilitate better learning for our children
- Naval’s favorite mental models for making critical high-stakes decisions
- His brilliant two-factor calendar authentication concept to keep him focused on only the most important projects
- Naval’s definition for the meaning of life (buckle up for this one)
- His amazing response to the investor who wanted to be just like Steve Jobs
And so, so much more.
Just a heads up, this is the longest podcast I’ve ever done. While it felt like only thirty minutes, our conversation lasted over two hours!
And although it is the longest, it’s also our most downloaded episode on the Knowledge Project, so make sure you have a pen and paper handy. There’s a lot of wisdom up for grabs here.
Enjoy this amazing conversation.
- Listen to this podcast on iTunes. (Please leave a rating!)
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
- Seven Brief Lessons On Physics
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
- The Book of Life
- René Girard’s Mimetic Theory
- Tools of Titans
- Stories of Your Life and Others
- Thermoinfocomplexity: A New Theory: Origin of Life and Evolution of Complex Adaptive Systems
- Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade
- The Lessons of History
- The Story of Philosophy
- God’s Debris: A Thought Experiment
- The Undercover Economist
- Feynman, Perfectly Reasonable Deviations
- Genius: The Life and Science of Richard Feynman
- The Evolution of Everything
- The Three Body Problem
- Man’s Search for Meaning
- Sex at Dawn: How We Mate, Why We Stray, and What It Means for Modern Relationships
- Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies
- The Art of Manipulation
- Thing Explainer
If you liked this, check out all the episodes of the knowledge project.