Véronique Rivest: Wine Lessons From a World Class Sommelier [The Knowledge Project Ep. #12]
Véronique Rivest (@veroniquerivest) and I explore the fascinating world of wine, including an on-air tasting, tips and tricks for serving wine that will impress your friends and so much more.
On this episode of The Knowledge Project, I talk about one of my favorite subjects with one of the most respected sommeliers in the world: Véronique Rivest.
After placing twice in the top 12 in 2007 and 2010, Véronique became the first woman to make the podium by taking second place at the world’s best sommelier competition in Tokyo in March 2013. She’s also the owner of Soif in Hull, which is quickly becoming one of my favorite wine bars.
On this episode we learn:
- How Véronique self-directed her education in wine, and the steps she took to become one of the best in the world.
- The three traits of every sommelier (the most important one actually has nothing to do with their knowledge of wine)
- How to properly taste wine (including an on-air tasting where Véronique guides me through the three phases of wine tasting)
- Tips and tricks for serving wine to enhance the experience
- The twenty-minute rule that ensures you serve perfect wine, every time
- How to tell if a bottle has been corked and why it matters
- The first rule of a wine tasting, no matter how much or little you know about wine
- How to hone your sense of taste to appreciate the subtleties that each wine has to offer
- How to host a wine tasting party that will impress your guests
If you want to impress everyone at the table the next time you’re at a restaurant with friends, listen to what Véronique has to say in this episode. You’ll be a wine expert in no time.
- Listen to this podcast on iTunes. (Please leave a rating!)
- Stream by clicking here.
- Libsyn RSS
- Download as MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
Would you like your own hand-edited transcript of this and every other Knowledge Project episode?
If so, consider becoming a Knowledge Project Premium Member. You’ll get exclusive benefits like podcast transcripts to highlight and revisit your favorite insights, behind the scenes commentary, and member-only AMAs with host Shane Parrish.
Your support also allows us to continue to produce high quality shows in the future. Learn more about it here.