Patrick Collison (@patrickc), CEO, and co-founder of Stripe shares wise insights on success, failure, management, decision making, learning and so much more. Grab a pen…
Here are a few highlights from our conversation:
- The biggest (and most valuable) mistakes Patrick made in the early days of Stripe and how they helped him get better
- The characteristics that Patrick looks for in a new hire to fit and contribute to the Stripe company culture
- What compelled he and his brother to move forward with the early concept of Stripe, even though on paper it was doomed to fail from the start
- The gaps Patrick saw in the market that dozens of other processing companies were missing — and how he capitalized on them
- The lessons Patrick learned from scaling Stripe from two employees (he and his brother) to nearly 1,000 today
- How he evaluates the upsides and potential dangers of speculative positions within the company
- How his Irish upbringing influenced his ability to argue and disagree without taking offense (and how we can all be a little more “Irish”)
- The power of finding the right peer group in your social and professional circles and how impactful and influential it can be in determining where you end up.
- The 4 ways Patrick has modified his decision-making process over the last 5 years and how it’s helped him develop as a person and as a business leader (this part alone is worth the listen)
- Patrick’s unique approach to books and how he chooses what he’s going to spend his time reading
- …life in Silicon Valley, Baumol’s cost disease, and so, so much more.
Patrick truly is one of the warmest, humble and down to earth people I’ve had the pleasure to speak with and I thoroughly enjoyed our conversation together. I hope you will too!