Negotiation expert Chris Voss (@VossNegotiation), former lead international kidnapping negotiator for the FBI and author of the excellent book, Never Split the Difference, offers some hands-on negotiation training.
Whether you’re buying a car, requesting a raise at work, or just deciding where to eat out with your spouse or partner, your negotiating skills will determine how pleased you are with the outcome.
Today, we have the special opportunity to learn some of the most effective tactics and strategies from a true master, Chris Voss.
Chris is the former lead international kidnapping negotiator for the FBI and author of the excellent book, Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As Though Your Life Depended On It.
In this fascinating conversation, Chris shares how you can use the same techniques that have been field-tested in some of the most high-stakes, pressure cooker situations, in your daily life.
If you want to become a better haggler, a better communicator, or a better listener, don’t miss this episode. It’s packed with actionable insights you can start using today to be more persuasive and grab hold of more of what you want in life.
Here are just a few things we cover:
- What it really takes to be great at negotiating (most people approach it all wrong)
- How to deactivate negative emotions and activate positive ones
- The three different voices you can use to connect with your counterpart and put them at ease (Assertive, Playful/Accommodating, and Late-night FM DJ)
- How many of us “take ourselves hostage” in negotiation and ruin it before it starts
- The biggest time-waster (and profit-killer) that plagues so many negotiations
- The main problems with traditional negotiation techniques (BATNA, etc.) and how they’re leaving lots on the table
- The “negotiation one-sheet” Chris uses before entering into any negotiation (and how you can use it, too)
- How to use an “accusations audit” when you’re structuring winning deals (this is brilliant)
- One technique to get your counterpart to spill their guts when they’re trying to be tightlipped.
- “Prospect theory” and how to use it to your advantage
- Maximizing employee satisfaction in the hiring process so you get the best talent… and keep them!
- How empathy saves time and makes you more likely to get what you want in a negotiation
- The power of deference (and when to use it)
- Chris’ go-to tools that work best on all personality types, in nearly any situation
- How intentionally getting the other party to say “no” substantially increases the success rate of a negotiation
And so much more.
Listen and Learn
- Listen on Apple Podcats | YouTube | Spotify
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “Save As”
Members of our Learning Community have access to hand-edited podcast transcripts, exclusive AMA’s with industry thought leaders, our ever-expanding Knowledge Library, and so much more. If you’re not a member, you should be. Find out why so many people are calling the Learning Community the best community on the internet today.