Multiple best selling author and financial strategist Michael Mauboussin (@mjmauboussin) shares his wisdom on parenting, daily routines, reading, and how to make better decisions.
Welcome to The Knowledge Project, a podcast aimed at upgrading our thinking. The core themes will seem familiar to readers: Decision Making, Leadership, Innovation. But it also touches on questions about what it means to live a good life.
The first episode of The Knowledge Project features Michael Mauboussin, at the time of this interview he was head of Global Financial Strategies at Credit Suisse. He’s also written numerous books, includingMore Than You Know: Finding Financial Wisdom in Unconventional Places,Think Twice: Harnessing the Power of Counterintuition, and most recentlyThe Success Equation: Untangling Skill and Luck in Business, Sports, and Investing.
More importantly, Mauboussin spends more time thinking about thinking than most people.
In this inaugural episode, we explore:
- How Michael structures his day (and which elements are absolutely essential to fit in no matter what’s on his plate)
- How “chunking” his time when performing tasks seems to result in a more productive day
- What role intuition plays in making big decisions and when it should be minimized
- How deliberate practice can help hone our intuition so we can lean on it when it matters
- How to audit your decision making process so you continually get better
- Effective ways to challenge the status quo in your organization, even if you’re at the bottom of the totem pole
- Tools and methods Michael uses with his children to encourage them to think for themselves
- How technology affects our decision making processes both positively and negatively
- The books that most influenced Michael’s life and why they mean so much to him
And much more.
I hope you enjoy this new format of learning the best of what others have already figured out.
- Listen to this podcast on iTunes. (Leave a rating!)
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
- Intuition: Its Powers and Perils
- Tales From Both Sides of the Brain
- Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration
- Creating Shareholder Value
- Darwin’s Dangerous Idea
- Complexity: The Emerging Science at the Edge of Order and Chaos
- Work Rules!: Insights from Inside Google That Will Transform How You Live and Lead
If you liked this, check out other episodes of the knowledge project.